A scroll saw is an important tool designed for cutting of decorative spiral patterns or lines. If you need one for your work, don’t spend your time on the internet searching for the best scroll saw. Choose the products we have reviewed here. Each of them has received excellent customer feedbacks and is strongly constructed to last for ages and deliver good cutting.
With reduced noise, vibration and user-friendly features, DEWALT DW788 will provide users with quality cuts at a quick rate. The design of the arm helps to improve the quality of cut thanks to its ability to minimize vibration. The tool has variable speed control making it possible for the users to adjust speeds to suit the workpiece being cut. Its motor of 1.3 amp generates 400 to 1,750 spm.
- It is a solid model of scroll saw meaning that it will last longer for you.
- It operates without experiencing vibration.
- The motor is able to generate huge force for cutting different materials.
- It is quite easy to change the blades of DEWALT DW788.
- The machine offers quiet operation.
- The lower guard prevents the table from tilting to the left because it is bent.
- DEWALT DW788 is heavy enough which can make it difficult to work with.
WEN 3920 comes with a base made from case iron for good stability and durability. Its motor generates huge force to move the blade to make 400 to 1,600 strokes per minutes. It has a variable speed control to enable users adjust the speed. Blades can be fitted into it from two directions. WEN 3920 is designed to rip workpieces of maximum thickness of 2 inches and 16-inch throat depth. The package comes complete with other accessories you will require to start cutting.
- It is easy to assemble and use.
- It is sold at an affordable price.
- It accepts pin and pinless blades.
- Blade changes are not easily accomplished.
Shop Fox W1713
Shop Fox W1713 boasts of awesome durability thanks to the cast iron used in constructing it. It features a motor of 1.2 Amp and 1/8HP which is capable of generating no-load speed of 550 to 1650 SPM. With a variable speed control, it can be used to cut wood of 2 inches maximum cutting capacity. The tool has a maximum cutting width of 16 inches.
- The blades are very easy to change.
- The machine does not vibrate when it is cutting.
- It delivers a huge power to rip hardwood.
- It delivers good cutting results.
- It is well built to deliver smooth operation.
- The blower/dust fan does not function properly when it is kept in the standard position.
- It can be quite challenging to install plane end blades in this scroll saw.
Dremel MS20-01 has an impressive versatility as it can be used to cut through different materials such as metals, woods, plastic and laminates. Besides, the saw can be used as a motorized coping as well. Its clamp base can easily be attached to different benches, tables and surfaces.
- It boasts of a variable-speed control making it possible for user to choose a suitable speed for their workpiece.
- It has multiple usage.
- The engine delivers huge power to rip hardwood.
- The saw is very easy to use.
- The package comes with 4 blades so that different items will be cut with it.
- It is light, easy to set up and store.
- The mounting clamps may not be fitted on a table because it is not wide.
- The package does not include miter guard/fence and it is not listed as one of the accessories.
- The surface of the tangle is not smooth.
- The construction is not very solid because it is made from plastic.
Available in a compact design, Rockwell RK7315 is quite easy to move to a jobsite. It is equipped with a dust extraction port and onboard dust blower. It features a motor of 1.2 amp which is able to spin at a speed range of 500 to 1700 SPM.
- It comes with a variable speed control making it possible for the tool to cut various materials.
- The motor delivers huge power for cutting materials quite easily.
- It has a lightweight design.
- The cutting depth is adjustable.
- Blades are quite easy to change.
- It is highly affordable.
- It is difficult to make certain bevels because the table can only tilts in one direction.
- The tool vibrates when cutting.
- The dust blower does not really perform well.
Craftsman 0092160200P has a good versatility as it can be used to cut plastics, soft metals, hardwoods and soft woods. It has a throat depth of 16 inches. Its maximum cutting thickness at 90 and 45 degrees are two inches and one inch respectively. The package comes with basic tools and accessories you require to make cuts.
- Both pin-end blades and plain end can be used on the saw for enhanced versatility.
- It comes with a variable speed control.
- It has a dust collection port which makes work cleanup very easy and more efficient.
- Craftsman 0092160200P is user friendly.
- The saw is quite affordable.
- It offers impressive stability.
- The hardware lacks the ruggedness required to overcome wears and tears resulting from heavy duty cutting.
- Bevel process can be difficult because the work table can only tilt to 45 degrees.
- The table does not tilt to the right.
How to choose the best scroll saw
Due to the availability of different brands, models and designs of scroll saw, first time buyers and inexperienced shoppers always find it difficult to make a good choice. If you find yourself in this class of people, take advantage of the buying tips given here.
Size of the saw
Scroll saws are available in different sizes to suit different needs. There are big sizes suitable for commercial and professional purposes and sizes suitable for lightweight cutting or work around the house. If you are looking for a big size scroll saw, then choose from models with throat depths range of between 12 and 30 inches. But if you are looking for a small size scroll saw, a model with a throat depth of 16 inches will be suitable for you.
Check for variable speed control
The speed at which the blade cuts determines how fast a scroll saw cuts. Some models’ blades cuts at a lower speed of 400 SPM (strokes per minute). But models that cuts faster have up to 1800 SPM. It all depends on the materials you are cutting. But it is advisable to go for a type that has variable speed control so that you will be able to adjust the speed to suit your requirements.
Consider the flexibility
You should always take flexibility into consideration before making your choice. Ideally, you should go for a product that you can use to cut different materials.
Consider available features
Top rated scroll saws are packed with features which enhance the cut quality and make cutting quite easier. However, the higher and more sophisticated features a product has, the more expensive it will be. So, when looking at features, consider only those that will be useful to you. It is not a wise decision to pay for redundant features or pay high to purchase a product with many features that you will not use. This way you’ll get the best scroll saw suitable for you.
Other factors to consider are:
- Your cutting needs
- Dive options
- Blade types
You will definitely going to be happy with your choice if you pick any of scroll saws reviewed above and if you abide by the tips given above when making your choice. Have a happy shopping!